Sunday, September 26, 2010

Acapulco

My First Spring Break. Ahhhh memories. It started early on Sunday morning at the Philadelphia airport, continued on in Mexico, had a little setback in a Houston hospital and finally arrived safely back to Philadelphia.

Clearly, I had been watching MTV Spring Break my entire life (even though I was never allowed to). So during my sophomore year of college, my girlfriends and I decided to head to Acapulco with the rest of the student body at Villanova. Looking back, why did I ever want to go on spring break with people from my own school?!

Someone was a student rep from Student City and signed us all up for the trip (I think it was around $900 for flights and all-inclusive hotel).  All-inclusive is a MUST for a college spring break trip. We also purchased the party package which provided one club a night, open bar and transportation to the club. These bracelets have both positives and negatives but I think it was around $120 and totally worth it. Its nice to have everything organized for you and its cheap. But you are also somewhat stuck at a club all night (no bouncing around) and you don't return to any of the same clubs if you wanted to go again.

We spent 5 days and 6 nights down there and then I was ready to GO HOME and check myself into rehab. The clubs were AMAZING down there - like nothing I've ever seen. (Granted I was only 19 so I had not been to many places outside of Villanova dive bars). The devil was in all the clubs and we danced every night with him. My favorite club was Palladium. It was on the hill overlooking the entire bay and was so so so much fun (probably too much fun!!)

I must apologize for the poor picture quality. Most of these pictures were taken with a Kodak instant camera and my scanner is not working. The first picture below is what I imagined when I thought of Acapulco....


This is what is actually looked like:


The picture seriously looks like it was taken in 1975. To be quite honest, Acapulco is a shithole. The resort area is nice, the rest of the town is actually a little scary and a total dump. The view of the bay above is beautiful and very scenic. 1000 Places book calls the bay one of the "most romantic views on Earth".  However, its a very poor city with lots of crime and poverty. I originally thought Acapulco would be this beautiful and glamorous town similar to the South of France. Not in any way.


The ocean is really dirty down there. I literally was swimming with trash (an old tire actually floated by me at one point) and it was pretty disgusting. 


I swear this photo was taken in 2004. 


This restaurant was called "Tacos and Beer". No joke. And it was delish.


Getting ready for a night out! (Beth- what are you wearing?!!)


My roomies! 


Palladium!


Ahhhhhh nothing captures spring break fever better than this picture. 


Villanova girls out on the town!


 Loving life down in Mexico!


Confession: This picture was actually taken in Atlantic City when we went to see the devil perform in 2006. Can't get enough of that devil!

The greatest piece of advice I can give is DO NOT EAT LETTUCE!!! I was so careful in Mexico - no water, no frozen margaritas, and even brushing my teeth with bottled water. I did not think of the water that would be used to wash the vegetables. So after I threw up for the third morning in a row, I figured something was up - it couldn't be just the alcohol?  (Actually it probably could....). Turns out it was a parasite! Lovely!

On the last day, I was sick as a dog. All of the beach chairs were taken except for one. I couldn't believe my luck! Well I soon found out that the reason it wasnt taken was because there was a huge piece of jagged metal which I immediately cut my leg. There was a doctor at the hotel that told me I could go either way on getting stitches so I opted out of the Mexican hospital field trip.

Finally, we land in Houston for our layover after a tearful phone call to my parents begging them to let me fly home (no go). We miss the connecting flight. I throw up everywhere in the airport. My friend Lauren has some kind of bug bite under her eye that had swelled her eye shut and was getting worse. Things could not be worse. Luckily, my good friend Steph offers to take both Lauren and I to the hospital. That night, I spent in the Houston hospital getting an IV and parasite meds and a tetnus shot. The good ol' American doctor told me that I did need stitches but it was too late so I was going to be stuck with a nasty scar. Just a little token I will keep with me forever to remember this trip.

Long story short - don't eat the veggies and if there is only one beach chair left, there is a reason why!!

No comments:

Post a Comment